Information for UK passport holders moving to Spain after 1st January 2021

Below is the current understanding of the new rules by MYNIE on the 30th December 2020. If we hear any changes to this we will update this page.

From midnight European time this Thursday (31st Dec) evening, UK passport holders become third country citizens, with regard to being able to move to Spain.

The following are the full requirements to obtain permission to live in Spain after that date. The cost of the visa to UK citizens is currently £516 UK pounds. 

Note…This residence permit if granted, does NOT ENTITLE THE HOLDER TO WORK IN SPAIN.

British citizens and their family member need a visa for journey undertaken after 31st December 2020 for the purposes of residence, studies for period larger than 90 days, work, professional, artistic or religious activities.


This visa can be requested by third-country nationals who wish to reside in Spain without engaging in any work or professional activity.

It does not apply to EU citizens or to nationals of countries to whom EU law applies, for being beneficiaries of the rights of free movement and residence.


It is an essential requirement to be in possession of a valid UK residence permit, and apply for a visa before moving to Spain.


Applicants must request their appointment through the following procedure: Sending an email to the following

In the SUBJECT they must specify the type of residence visa they wish to apply for.

The TEXT of the message should state:

– PERSONAL DETAILS of the applicant (full name, nationality, passport number and telephone number)

– TYPE OF RESIDENCE VISA you wish to apply for.

– REASONS for the request.

– DESIRED DATE for the appointment at the Consulate General (only on TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS of each week, between 09:30 and 12:00).  The final date and time of the appointment will be confirmed through email.

Applicants who do not intend to attend their appointment are kindly requested to notify the Consulate as soon as possible.

No applicant will be accepted without prior appointment, each appointment being only for one person, therefore, family members accompanying the applicant who wish to apply for a visa need to book an additional appointment.

The Consulate General will not accept appointments that have not been requested in accordance with the aforementioned procedure.

The visa is requested personally, the application will only be accepted through a representative with a notarised authorisation, where there is justified reason or, in the case of minors, through their parents or legal guardians.

In the case of a positive answer, the applicant must collect personally their visa within one month from the date of notification. Failure to do so, it will be understood that they have renounced the visa granted, and the procedure will be closed.

The consular office, on the basis of a substantiated reason and in addition to the required documentation, reserves the right to request additional documentation or the personal appearance of the applicant without this implying the approval of the visa.All official documents (birth certificate/death, marriage certificate/divorce, criminal record) must be legalised through the consular representations of the issuing country or, in the case of signatory countries to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961, hold the Hague Apostille, except official documents issued by a Member State of the European Union, which will not require to be legalised.

If your application is refused, you will not be refunded the fee you paid at the time of your application.


The non-lucrative residence visa can be applied for up to 90 days before the desired date of entry into Spain.


When applying for a visa, you must submit a photocopy of all the original documents that you want to be returned to you at the end of the procedure. This consulate does not make photocopies.

1. National visa form complete, dated and signed. It can be downloaded free of charge HERE 

2. Recent passport photograph with white background. Information on the requirements to be met by photographs can be found in the ICAO document. This Consulate does not accept digital retouching on identity photographs.

3. Valid passport or travel document, recognised as valid in Spain.  It must have a minimum validity of one year and at least two blank pages. Photocopy of all passport pages.

4. Valid UK residence permit and photocopy. Visa applications submitted by non-residents who are in the UK on a C-Visit stay visa will not be accepted

5. Certificate of criminal record (only in the case of persons over 18 years of age, criminal age in Spain) issued by the country or countries where the applicant has resided within the five years preceding the date of the visa application. It cannot be older than 3 months, unless the certificate itself specifies a longer expiration.

These certificates must be legalised through the consular representations of the issuing country or, in the case of signatory countries to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961, hold the Hague Apostille, except official documents issued by a Member State of the European Union, which will not require to be legalised. Sworn translation into Spanish is also required.

6. Public or private health insurance taken out by an insurance company authorised to operate in Spain.

7. Medical certificat.   Issued no later than 3 months prior to the date of application, it must be formulated in the following terms or similarly: If the medical certificate is issued in the United Kingdom: “This health certificate states that Mr./Mrs. (…) does not suffer from any of the diseases that may have serious public health repercussions in accordance with what is stipulated by the International Health Regulations of 2005”

Certificates issued in the United Kingdom must be accompanied by a sworn translation into Spanish.

If the medical certificate is issued in Spain: “Este certificado médico acredita que el Sr./Sra. (…) no padece ninguna de las enfermedades que pueden tener repercusiones para la salud pública graves, de conformidad con lo dispuesto en el reglamento sanitario internacional de 2005”

The Consulate does not provide information about medical centres that issue this certificate. The applicant may contact any public or private medical centre duly accredited in the territory of the United Kingdom orSpain. Medical certificates issued in countries other than the United Kingdom or Spain will not be accepted.

8. Financial means required to cover the living expenses and, where appropriate, those of their family members, for one year, in accordance with the following amounts: – For the support of the main applicant, monthly, 400 % of the IPREM (Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples), which in 2020 amounts to 537,84 €, being 2.151,36 € or its legal equivalent in foreign currency.

– For the support of each of the family members in charge, monthly, 100% of the IPREM, which in 2020 amounts to 537,84 € or its legal equivalent in foreign currency.

The availability of sufficient financial means will be evidenced by the submission of original and stamped documents that verify the perception of a periodic and sufficient income or the holding of an estate that guarantees the perception of that income.

If the financial means come from shares or participations in Spanish companies, mixed or foreign companies, based in Spain, applicants shall prove, by certification thereof, that they don’t carry out any work activity in such companies and will submit an affidavit to that effect.

9. Fill in the ‘Autorización inicial de residencia temporal’ fee self-assessment form 790-052, to be paid at the Consulate on the day your application is accepted.

10. Fill in the EX-01 form ‘Autorización de residencia temporal no lucrativa’.

11. Pay the relevant visa fee at the Consulate on the day your application is accepted

After obtaining the visa, the applicant has one month from the date of entry into Spain, to process the TIE – Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero at the Immigration Office or Police Station.

In the case of spouses or civil partners, it is necessary to submit, additionally, marriage or civil partnership certificate and, in the case of descendants, birth certificate.

All these documents need to be legalised through the consular representations of the issuing country or, in the case of signatory countries to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961, hold the Hague Apostille (except official documents issued by a Member State of the European Union, which will not require to be legalised).

In the case of minors travelling with only one parent, a notarised authorisation from the other parent or official document proving sole custody is required, these documents must be translated into Spanish by a sworn translator.

Fee list for British citizens

Find more information on all the Visa Types available HERE

Internal links




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *